The perfect backyard design increases your outdoor space’s functionality and your home’s square feet! Adding an outdoor kitchen is an upgrade that increases the livable space of your Hollywood home and creates a next-level entertaining space. From hosting parties to building everlasting memories with the family, there is so much you can do to build your perfect space. To get you started on the right path, here are our top five outdoor kitchen designs.
Top 5 Outdoor Kitchen Designs
1. Grills and Griddles
Grills and griddles are essential for homeowners who feed four or more people at a time. Whether you have a large family or love to entertain, they are a great way to feed the masses. With so many modern options, choosing an outdoor grill must be based on your cooking preferences. Gas grills are a great place to start; you may want to look into hood ventilation if your kitchen isn’t open-air. If you love to serve breakfast, try incorporating a griddle; or if you’re an avid barbecuer, put in a smoker!
2. Refrigeration Station
A nice cold drink or treat is essential in a sunny, warm climate. We recommend including an outdoor refrigerator to keep cooking supplies and beverages as chilled as possible. If possible, we recommend placing your outdoor refrigeration unit in the shade, as it will decrease its power usage and increase its longevity. For a lower profile, try refrigerator drawers. Don’t forget an ice maker so you don’t have to drag bags of ice out from inside!
3. Built-in Bar
Do you enjoy sipping a glass of wine while watching the sunset, gabbing with friends over a cocktail, or showing off your bartending skills? Building a bar area can be a valuable addition to an outdoor kitchen. Make sure to add prep space, a sink, and bar stools for guests to sit and chat. To really impress your friends and family, add a wine cooler or a couple of beers on tap!
4. Room for Storage
There is no point in building an outdoor kitchen if you constantly have to go back and forth from inside your house. Make sure you install enough cabinetry for adequate storage. Remember to make a place to hide trash and recycle! Plus, be sure to include plenty of countertops for food preparation and serving.
5. Unique Features
If you want to impress, include some rare features. A pizza oven provides another cooking alternative and can be a source of entertainment. Everyone loves a homemade pizza night! Other unique elements could be a TV for watching sports al fresco, an outdoor fireplace, or even a catio for those feline lovers!
How much does it cost to build an outdoor kitchen?
On average, designers recommend spending 7% of your home value on your outdoor hardscaping and landscaping. How much you choose to spend on your outdoor kitchen design will depend greatly on the extent of the kitchen’s size, its materials, and its amenities. A simple barbeque and prep space could cost less than $1,000. On the other hand, if you want a full outdoor kitchen design with all the bells and whistles, you could be looking at $10k or more. To ensure that you stay within budget and still have beautiful, functional outdoor kitchen designs, we recommend hiring a hardscaping team to aid you in your project.
How to design outdoor kitchens?
When it comes to outdoor kitchen designs, there are a few key tasks you must complete before breaking ground.
- Assess your space to determine how much square footage you are working with. Your design will need to fit into this space without question.
- Evaluate your budget to see how much kitchen you can afford. By setting a budget, you can set limits to your design, so you don’t go overboard.
- Determine what is most important to you and your family. If you have key features or appliances that you want in your design, make a mental note to ensure that they are a top-priority in your design.
- Choose between permanent and portable kitchen designs. Do you want it to be stationary, or would you like to be able to move your design around to adjust for weather or daily preferences?
- Consider your environment! Those living in California face a vastly different climate than those in Maine. You will need to take environmental factors into consideration when planning your materials, appliances, and maintenance.
- Hire a professional. While some savvy homeowners may build their outdoor kitchen themselves, for most, that isn’t possible. To ensure that you get a high-quality kitchen that stands the test of time and has a high return on investment, we recommend hiring a professional team to design and build your project. Plus, experts come with extensive experience and creative ideas that will turn your outdoor kitchen concept from drab to fab!
Is it worth it to build an outdoor kitchen?
Absolutely! Outdoor kitchens provide homeowners with extra living space that can be customized to suit their exact needs and preferences while adding value and aesthetics to their homes. Those who implement outdoor kitchens have a greater opportunity and incentive to spend more time outside with family and friends. Plus, they often see a high return on investment when it comes time to sell their home.
What are the disadvantages of an outdoor kitchen?
As with any outdoor design, there will be a few disadvantages. First, you will need space. Those with small outdoor spaces will likely need a conservative design, so proper planning is critical. Additionally, you will, of course, need to choose weather-resistant materials and appliances, have a way to secure your items from theft and tampering, and need to perform regular maintenance. If you live in an area that seems extreme weather or is prone to thievery, it would be wise to include that in your planning. Fortunately, these disadvantages are easy to combat!
Design Scapes – Building Your Outdoor Kitchen Design
We understand that kitchen spaces must be highly attuned to the user. To get perfect outdoor kitchen designs for you and your family, our design team will perform an in-depth consultation with you to get your ideas and requirements before coming up with the ideal design. To learn more, book a consultation today!