Whether you are looking to boost your home’s potential sale price or simply making an investment in your home to collect on later, hardscaping projects can achieve an incredible return on investment (ROI) if appropriately completed. Today, we share the 4 top hardscaping projects with the highest ROI and how you can get started.
4 Top Hardscaping Projects with the Highest ROI
#1: Paving & Stone Driveways
Old, cracked, and downright decrepit-looking driveways are not only annoying to deal with but are an eyesore all the way around since they are one of the first things that someone notices about a property. Replacing that driveway with shiny new asphalt or stone pavers instantly increases curb appeal and makes the home more user-friendly.
There are a variety of methods you can utilize when re-doing a driveway. Asphalt driveways are a straightforward method with satisfying results. However, if you want to take it to the next level, pavers are the way to go. With an endless array of colors, shapes, and materials available, you can design just about anything with the right crew.
#2: Patios & Decks
Patios and decks that are designed to complement the existing architecture of the home add much desired square footage to any home. By increasing the livable space, you are essentially making your home bigger without the insane costs of home renovations and add-on builds.
In addition, patios and decks can be transformed to suit the needs of the current homeowners. Whether they want a lounge zone, a potted garden, a place to BBQ, or more, they can utilize the space however they need.
#3: Outdoor Kitchens
We are firm believers that the kitchen is the heart of the family home. It is where your family spends the most time eating, learning, and socializing. Who wouldn’t want to create an additional space where you can continue to bond with others? An outdoor kitchen represents a host of possibilities, from hosting neighborhood parties to spending time with loved ones outdoors over a delicious meal; this makes it one of the best hardscaping projects to get a high ROI.
#4: Water Features
Lastly, we have water features. Water features instantly increase the value of a home as well as curb appeal. Nearly everyone, especially here in Southern California, enjoys the tinkling sounds of moving water and the serenity it imbues into an atmosphere. Whether you want to add a fountain, waterfall, little stream, or even a luxury pool, it will provide you with a high ROI if done correctly.
What is softscaping vs hardscaping?
What are the cons of hardscape?
Hardscaping, while offering numerous benefits, also comes with some drawbacks. Firstly, it can be expensive, both in terms of materials and labor. Installation often requires specialized skills, driving up costs. Over time, certain hardscape elements may require maintenance or repairs due to wear and tear or weather-induced damage. Improperly designed hardscapes can lead to drainage issues, potentially causing water accumulation or erosion. Additionally, excessive hardscaping can reduce the permeable surface area, impacting groundwater recharge. Lastly, over-reliance on hardscape can diminish the natural beauty and biodiversity of a landscape, depriving the area of the benefits that softscaping elements provide.
To prevent these issues, it is wise to consult with a hardscape design and installation expert, as they can guide you through the tricky aspects to ensure you have properly functioning, aesthetically please, and sustainable hardscaping projects.
What adds the most value to a backyard?
- Fire Pits and Fireplaces: These features create a cozy ambiance, extending the usability of outdoor spaces into cooler months.
- Lighting: Properly placed landscape lighting can accentuate landscape features, improve safety, and set the mood for evening gatherings.
- Retaining Walls: These can transform sloped areas into usable spaces while preventing erosion.
- Gazebos and Pergolas: These structures provide shaded areas, making outdoor spaces more comfortable during sunny days.
- Garden Paths: A well-designed path can guide visitors, connecting different areas of the backyard seamlessly.
What makes backyard look bigger?
Creating the illusion of a larger backyard involves a blend of hardscaping techniques and design principles. Here’s how:
- Linear Patterns: Using linear patterns in hardscaping, like elongated pavers or pathways, can draw the eye lengthwise or widthwise, making the space appear more extended.
- Layering: Incorporate plants of varying heights. Start with low ground covers, then medium-sized shrubs, and finally taller trees. This layered approach adds depth.
- Mirrors: Strategically placed mirrors can reflect the garden, doubling its perceived size.
- Monochromatic Color Schemes: Using a single color palette, especially with cooler shades, can create an illusion of spaciousness.
- Zoning: Divide the yard into distinct areas using hardscape features like patios, decks, or small walls. This creates multiple focal points, making the yard seem expansive.
- Declutter: Keep the design simple. Overcrowding with plants or decor can make the space feel confined. Instead, choose statement pieces and allow for open spaces.
Get Started Today – Design Scapes Hardscape Design & Install
Are you contemplating a transformative change for your outdoor space? At Design Scapes, we don’t just build; we bring visions to life. Our team of seasoned landscape designers and hardscape artisans are dedicated to crafting spaces that not only elevate your property’s value but also resonate with your personal style. Whether you’re envisioning a serene water feature, a lively outdoor kitchen, or a cozy patio retreat, we’re here to guide you every step of the way. Dive into a collaborative journey with us, where your aspirations meet our expertise. Schedule a consultation today and embark on the path to your dream hardscaping project.